CHILD DENTAL CARE
Why milk teeth are important?
- Milk teeth have their own importance
- They hold the space for permanent teeth and guide them to erupt properly which is very important for child's health and development
Why decay / cavity/black spots occur in milk teeth?
Children eat sweets like chocolates,biscuits,cakes,pastries,ice creams,cookies very frequently now a days.
These foods contain sticky sugary stuff which if remain uncleaned for a longer period of time,results in damage to tooth
If Children don't brush teeth properly and regularly, then food remains uncleaned which results in DECAY
Sometimes hereditary/developmental defects may play a role.
Pediatric Dental Care
Treatment of Decay in Milk Teeth: (Fillings or Pulpectomy)
- If decay is superficial;then the dacay is removed & filling materials
(GC/composite/Equia Forte capsule filling) are placed to save the tooth from root canal treatment(RCT)
- If decay is deep;then pulpectomy(root canal treatment) has to be done & crown is placed over it to save the tooth till its exfoliation age.
- Different than the adult crown,in which we don't need to take any measurement.
- It is prefabricated crown which needs to be placed where 1)fillings can not sustain for a longer time(where decay is between two teeth) 2)after root canal treatment.
- 1) for posterior(back) teeth: stainless steel crown ,zirconia crown
- 2) for anterior(front) tooth: anterior strip crown
1) do not allow your child to have sticky chocolates like eclairs,caramel etc.to prevent it's removal
2) this cap does not require any removal,it will come out along with the milk tooth at its exfoliation age.
Topical flouride application
- do you want to prevent the decay instead of treating the decay?here is the solution..
- Professionally applied topical fluoride is a preventive agent that contains fluoride in high concentration,which can be absobed in developing tooth if applied during the age between 3 years to 13 years.
- it can prevent the dacay but that does not mean the decay will not occur. example of helmet.
How it works??
- Flouride increses the pH of the mouth so reduces the acidic environment and that's how reduces the bacterial attack on tooth and keep it healthy till its exfoliation age.
Method of application:
- It can come as a gel that is placed on a foam tray and held against the teeth for a few minutes or as a varnish that is painted on the enamel of the teeth.
- Fluoride varnish is a pale yellow gel that sets quickly(within 2-3 min) when applied to children's teeth using a soft brush.
- it has a pleasant taste and a fruity smell.
Ideal age of application:
- Do not take any food ingrediants for 2-3 hours after application.
- Fissure sealants are coatings that are painted on to the grooves of the back teeth.
- The sealant forms a protective layer that keeps food and bacteria from getting stuck in the tiny grooves in the teeth and causing decay.
- Resin-based fissure sealants should be applied to the permanent molars of all children as early after eruption as possible.
- The process is usually quick and easy taking only a few minutes per tooth.
- The tooth is thoroughly cleaned, prepared with a special solution, and dried. The sealant is then applied and allowed to set hard – usually by shining a blue light onto it.
How long does fissure sealant last?
- Sealant usually last for many years, but needs to be checked regularly to make sure that the seal is intact.
- It can wear over time, and sometimes needs to be added to or replaced to be sure that no decay can start underneath it.
Space Maintainer and Habit Breaking Appliances
- When Milk Tooth Need to be Removed before its Exfoliation age, Space Maintainers are used to maintaine this space for Permanent tooth to erupt.
- Habit Breaking Appliances are used in Various Child Habits Like Thumb Sucking, Tongue Thrusting, Mouth Breathing etc.